Get free expert immigration advice on your
visa application

Millions of people around the world decide to seek international
opportunities to develop their professional careers.

apply visa online nz
Book your free consultation now!
Immmigration Advisers Authority
Migration Agent Logo

Who Are We?

Immigration Consultancies is an Auckland-based immigration consultancy firm that handles the planning and submission process of all kinds of Study, Resident and Work Visa for New Zealand, Australia and Canada.

For over 20 years, ICL has dealt with thousands of applications. Will yours be the next application we secure?

Student Visa

Student Visa

Each year, over 120,000 international students choose to make New Zealand their temporary home. Taking such an important step – including moving away from home, friends and family – is as exciting as it is daunting.

Before this exciting next chapter of your life can become a reality, you must obtain the relevant Student Visa – a legal requirement by the New Zealand government to facilitate your stay and study in New Zealand and carry out all student-related activities.

You will need a Student Visa if you want to study in New Zealand for more than three months. In addition, you must be accepted into a course with an approved educational institution (university or school). And, as an international student, you can only study programs approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.

If you are looking to apply for a Student Visa, reach out to us by email ( or call us at 09 369 1681 and speak to one of our immigration consultants today.

Applying for a Student Visa can be a daunting process. After all, your chances of studying in New Zealand depend on a successful visa application. If you have no idea where to start or want to find out more about the different types of Student Visas for New Zealand, simply keep scrolling.

If you wish to apply for a Work Visa, reach out to one of our immigration consultants by email () or call us at 09 369 1681 or 021 039 1964 today.

Book your free consultation now!

What is a Student Visa?

A Student Visa is a legal document issued by the New Zealand government that gives you the authorisation to legally carry out your academic activities on New Zealand soil. Such a visa will allow you to study full-time for a stipulated period of time.
Depending on the type of course you wish to study in New Zealand, you may be eligible for a Post-Study Work Visa once you have completed your studies.

Student Visa: If you plan on studying in New Zealand for over three months, you will need to apply for a Student Visa. This type of visa allows you to go to school, take a course or conduct particular career-focused training in New Zealand.

To apply for this visa, you will need an official offer or confirmation of enrolment from an approved education provider.
Upon approval, you can stay in New Zealand for up to four years, work on a part-time basis (up to 20 hours a week) while studying, and work full-time during the holidays.

Remember: If you are enrolled in a masters by research or doctoral degree programme awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution, your visa conditions will not have any restrictions on the hours you can work.

Post-Study Work Visa: Once you finish your education in New Zealand, you can apply for a Work Visa that lasts one to three years (depending on your level of qualification and institution of study).
With a post-study Work Visa, you can work for any employer and hold almost any job. If you have a partner and children abroad, your partner can apply for their own Work Visa, and your dependent children can study fee-free as domestic students.

Once your initial Post-Study Work Visa expires, you can apply for an extension if you complete another relevant qualification in New Zealand. This qualification must be at least a Level 7 bachelor’s degree, have a 30-week minimum course duration, and be a higher level qualification than that for which you applied for in your first Post-Study Work Visa.

Work Visa
  • Please contact our licensed advisors to learn more about the specific types of evidence required by Partnership Visa applications.
    Prior to the expiration of the visa, you can apply for residence based on your partnership.

Book A Free Consultation

    Who Needs a Student Visa?

    Any foreign individual aiming to study in New Zealand for a period longer than three months is required to obtain a Student Visa. If you plan on working in conjunction with your studies or once your studies are complete, you will need to apply for a specific type of Student Visa.
    Depending on the type of visa for which you apply, you will be legally permitted to earn money from employment (up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and full-time during holiday periods).

    Remember: If you are enrolled in a masters by research or doctoral degree programme awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution, your visa conditions will not have any restrictions on the hours you can work.

    If you are unsure whether you need a Student Visa or how to proceed, it is worth speaking with an immigration visa specialist.

    Academic Consultation
    As an extension of our Student Visa services, we are also delighted to provide academic consultation.

    Jeswin thomas

    Choosing the right course and institution can be a daunting process. At ICL, we offer guidance to prospective students on selecting the best course for their goals. If you require this service, we are able to offer our experienced perspective as part of our Student Visa application service.

    The Typical Student Visa Application Process

    The Student Visa application process is quite straightforward. Once you decide which Student Visa is needed, you must complete the relevant documentation required by New Zealand law and provide all supporting material required for the approval of your Student Visa application.
    In the review process, your visa may be accepted or rejected. In some instances, you may be asked to provide more supporting documents, which can slow the application process.

    If you don’t want the hassle of applying for your Student Visa and wish to increase your chances of securing your Student Visa the first time, reach out to our Student Visa advisors by email ( or call us at 09 369 1681 today.

    How Long Does It Take to Get a Student Visa?

    At Immigration Consultancies, we provide hundreds of foreign students with stress-free Student Visa applications each year. And over the last 20 years, we are proud to have established a 97% average visa success rate.
    Some of the benefits of hiring a professional for your Student Visa application include:

    ● Your Student Visa application in the hands of a professional with years of relevant experience

    ● Guidance in selecting the right academic course for your goals

    ● Dramatically increased chances of securing your Student Visa the first time

    study visa in New Zealand


    Customer satisfaction taken to the next level


    I am extremely happy to recommend ICL and Nirmala K Murthy. They have helped me get three visas successfully [...] they are amazing and I would recommend them to everyone!

    Jesse John

    I am extremely happy to get our resident visas approved! Thanks to the ICL team and Nirmala for working with us patiently to get our resident visas under the SMC

    Mobin Mohanan

    I had a very warm welcome from ICL [...] The service was excellent. On every step of my visa process ICL was there with me. I would like to recommend ICL for your next visa, thank you so much ICL!

    Dulip Nirupa

    Lovely team, fantastic experience with the immigration advisers at ICL Immigration for our NZ resident Visa. Thanks team! 5 stars!

    Jishamol Francy

    I'd like to thank ICL Immigration from the bottom of my heart for helping me with my work visa. I will trust ICL with all my future visas and recomend them to everyone who needs any help with a visa or other immigration matters

    Harpreet Kaur



    A Work Visa simply refers to a permit or a legal authorisation provided by the local government giving a foreign individual the right to carry out work-related activities in New Zealand, Australia or Canada.


    The immigration process for NZ can be stressful; your plans for your life and your family depend on the outcome, and it’s something you want to get right the first time. Hiring an expert on your side can mean the difference between making the experience an exciting new chapter in your life or one marked by tension and anxiety.


    Firstly, unlike lawyers who bill hourly and other licensed advisers who might charge you based on the time spent on your file, we think it’s fair you know the cost before you start your visa application. We quote you our standard fee at the start, and there are no hidden costs or additional invoices. We also have years of experience, and being immigrants ourselves – we understand and care about our client’s immigration journey.


    We welcome in-person consultations that are free of charge and recommend that you come into our office to meet us face to face. Our office is centrally located in the Auckland CBD. Please give us a call on 021 039 1964 or fill out our contact form on our page, and we will call you back as soon as we can.

    Get in touch with us 

    Give us a call or drop by anytime, we endeavour to answer all enquiries within 24 hours on business days. We will be happy to answer your questions.


    500 Karangahape Road, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand

    © 2023 ICL Immigration.